Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Reno, the Final Frontier 12th-16th

So last week I went with my little brother and mother back to the home land of Reno, NV.  It was a grand visit and vacation away from the busy life at the restaurant.  (I got to luck out of the hectic Valentines dinner crowd.)  

We left town on Thursday the 12th and returned this last Monday the 16th.  Due to weather we added an additional 1.5 hours to the already 7.5 hour drive by going through Las Vegas so we wouldn't have to bother with the storms.  When we got just out of Vegas we ran into what I thought was an Inmate Bus.  They were actually Nelis Air Force Base people being transported.  I you would ask me I thought they had the look of depressed inmates..

Property of Andrew Gawdun
Along the way up we went through Goldfield, NV which has a supposed extremely haunted hotel.  (Travel Channel TV show Ghost Adventures reported there)...


Property of Andrew Gawdun
Property of Andrew Gawdun
We made it to Tonopah, NV not to long after and stopped by to see my Aunt Cindy and Uncle Dwayne and cousin Cameron..

Property of Andrew Gawdun
Along the way managed to pass some of good'ol Nevada Desert landmarks.  Everything from rest stops, brothels and cloud formations.

Property of Andrew Gawdun
Property of Andrew Gawdun
Property of Andrew Gawdun
Property of Andrew Gawdun
We finally made it to Reno around 11pm.  Aunt Dawn was readily waiting for us.  It is always exciting to get to her house.  I am a big fan of staying at her house.  This time was also a most exciting time as she has a Macbook Pro and I got my Macbook so we could talk computers and she was able to show me around my new Macbook when I got it on Friday.  

Friday we went down to Carson City and saw my brother David.  He seems to be doing as good can be in these hard times.  Although he needs to invest in a razor and trim that shaggy face hair up.  LOL.

Property of Andrew Gawdun
We also went to Gardnerville so I could get a hair cut and see some old pals.  The one I met up with just happened to have gotten married to a good guy and has her 2nd child.  Alia is funny.


Property of Andrew Gawdun
We witnessed the funniest thing for a valentines promotion.  We passed the grocery store there and found this...


Property of Andrew Gawdun
Property of Andrew Gawdun
These dummies just so happen to be Halloween dummies that as you can tell they dressed up Valentines colors.  I just love how they put a duck umbrella on the one and a red see through scarf to cover the face of the other.  All I gotta say is "small town ghetto."  This mountain side (Jobes Peak) is just a nice look at what I saw while going to high school in that town during the winter months


Property of Andrew Gawdun
However that night was also my blind date dinner and dance at my old singles ward.  I don't have any pictures but I will tell you that Brittany was a wonderful date and she was alot of fun.  I don't have any pics of me dancing either, but I can tell you that I did shake it like a poloroid picture!  ;-)  I wont lie though, it took me a bunch of songs to get in the grove as I had not shakin since before my mission.  That was 2.5 long YEARS!


Property of Andrew Gawdun
Saturday (V-day) I went and did temple work and hung out with Katie who is pretty much rockin' awesome. We talked about some fun stuff and watched 'Flight of the Concord.'  All the while discussing why Valentines is lame. 

Property of Andrew Gawdun
I also managed to get "engaged" to Ann.  Look at the size of that emerald! 

Property of Andrew Gawdun
Her brother Corey was not amused...

Property of Andrew Gawdun
Sunday was a good day.  I realized how much I miss my old Reno Singles Ward.  It has shrunk considerably but felt like I never left.  Don't get me wrong I love the "meat market ward" I'm in here in St George but it's not the same.  Them people just have fun and know how to.  Maybe I'll move back...


Property of Andrew Gawdun
I also managed to run into a former roommate and found out that he is expecting his first child with his wife and finally removed the airplane pictures and clouds off his living room walls.  However the most exciting things that happened that weekend was also seeing my grandfather, cousins and not to mention my cousin Christy's baby Jillian...

Property of Andrew Gawdun
Property of Andrew Gawdun
In the end I Had the most amazing time back there and I miss it more than I realized.  Katie suggested something that I should do this summer before I head out to school.  Move to Reno for a month or so and work a side job that way I can see what comes of it... Just a thought.  I will end it at this time as I have been trying to get this done for what seems like a lifetime so enjoy this last picture on the house... (by the way if any family or others want a copy of these pictures let me know and don't just copy them, it's illegal.  You know who you are)


Property of Andrew Gawdun


-Gawdun

2 comments:

k.margaret said...

I love this pic!

Nick and Serina said...

Sure wish we could have gotten together. The pictures are great. Good to hear that things have changed in the "Pandamonia" house. Glad to hear about the engagement. Take care! See you some time.