Sunday, April 11, 2010

LAZY!

Before I get into the main reason for this blog I have to tell you that watching SNL with special host Tina Fey is hysterical. I love her Sarah Palin act. She is soo funny.

But I'm not here to talk about conservative impersonations, I'm actually here to talk about something I heard and since hearing it have witnessed it in real life.

Last Saturday was General Conference. However I also had a photo shoot to attend to during this, so on the way to and fro I listened to it on NPR here in town. Between sessions I caught a discussion regarding a study that was written by a former Boston Journalist about my generation (the Y Generaton, also know as the current 19-29 somethings.) In this study they were researching the work ethics of generations that are currently in the work field. There was something said in this NPR broadcast that never hit me before. "The millennial generation — about 50 million people between ages 18 and 29 — is the only age group in the nation that doesn’t cite work ethic as one of its “principal claims to distinctiveness,” according to a new Pew Research Center study..."

I fully agree with this statement! I would also go as far to say that most people in this age group will not do something unless it is to benefit them alone and not a whole company. They are more out to get what they need in the long run. After hearing this NPR story I began to think about people I go to church with, work with, hang with, and of course myself. A great deal of these people are only out to help themselves. What can this do for me RIGHT now? I also feel the term "I'm entitled because I studied in college," "came from so and so family," "I shouldn't have to work for what my parents have," etc etc. I could list the phrases and thoughts for hours, but you can't keep kicking a dead horse hoping he will respond...HE IS DEAD.

As I contemplated myself I noticed times in my life where I acted this way of me me me. It made me sick. I have always been a hard working, responsible person (I'm not trying to toot my horn and sound like prideful jerk). Proof of this would have to come from the fact that I have been told that by employers and church leaders. So is it a curse that I am stuck with? Must I feel and announce that work is not the most important thing to me? Heck no! I know and understand that to get where my parents and grandparents are I have to work for it. Of all the things I see, young people going into debt to buy a house, car, boat, 4 wheeler, etc just because they had them growing up and feel they "deserve it" makes me throw up in my mouth. I am not afraid to say (and I may have posted this before) that when I go and get married we will not be buying a house right away. I would rather rent and repair broken pipes by doing it myself than go broke by "saying" I can afford it or hiring someone else to do it. {So ladies if you have liked me and this now makes you not like me you can move on I have no desire for you.} I do understand that there are A FEW select people in the 19-29 year current age that can afford right away these things and to them I say good luck.

I also know that sometimes we have to turn jobs down for various reasons but when you are complaining about not having work or money and you go and turn down a job because they wouldn't give you that large figure check right off the bat that YOU THINK you deserve makes me extremely disgusted in you. GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND WORK FOR YOUR FUTURE. Once you have worked for it you will appreciate it.

Go and click that link from above to read the article spoken of in NPR and the bases of this post. You may think twice about your life.

-Gawdun

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally agreed Andrew! I have seen so many people like that...that have to buy the biggest and the best even if they don't have the money. Crazy!

Anonymous said...

Wow!

K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Andrew, I agree about people who turn down a job b/c it's not what they want or think that they deserve. I have seen many people in our generation jobless turning down job after job because they want better. They think they are settling when they take something less. When really less is a good start to have a job and move up to something better later on.